Thursday, April 14, 2011

Our Workbox System

So we are newbies to the workbox system. After much research and blog stalking I finally mustered the courage to attempt our own workbox system. They arrived last week and right away I got to work on them. First up, putting them together...see how nice they look?




I love how they are "kid-size" and I like that they have a nice top to them. I plan to have a basket for them to put their completed work into.

Then I had some fun over at Kinkos (well, WE had fun didn't we Lisa?) where I laminated all the printouts. The templates were courtesy of Mama Jenn over HERE.

Next was an ever-so-much fun evening of cutting out circles, cutting velcro, and affixing the velcro to the circles and bins. Here are some pictures of a typical workbox system (only numbers). Each child is color-coded: B has blue circles, S has pink circles, and H has purple circles.



Of course, anyone who knows me knows I'm atypical LOL. I decided to add subjects directly to the bins so that I can easily see which subjects were done/not done. Plus, I feel that will make filing the drawers each evening that much easier. So, here are a few pictures of what I came up with.



Here's one of the drawers:

The way we will be using this system is as a drawer is completed, the child will put the number from that drawer on their workbox ring. They will then move onto the next drawer, unless there is a circle on their ring indicating they do something else (ie. have a snack, practice piano, lunch, etc.). Do you see that 4th card on the ring? That would be a chore chart....heehee! I have several jobs in mind that I plan to add to the girls' rings each day. Savannah was very excited to learn she has jobs. Bella, on the other hand....less than thrilled.





This system will allow my independent worker (B) to always know where she stands as far as the school day, my sensory child (S) to feel like there is order in our homeschool day (something that is very important to her learning style), and my always on the go preschooler (H) to start focusing in on some structured activities. My next week or so will be filled with organizing each subject so that when we begin to start back on lessons (sometime around the first week of May) we will be able to easily implement this new system.


Stay tuned for information as to which curriculum we've chosen for our 2011-2012 school year!


Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Wow makes me feel like our system is amateur:-) Way to go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Melissa!! You rock!! Can't wait to "copy" you!! Plus I'll be picking your brain!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you happen to have a link to your boxes? I was looking on amazon and can't seem to find that particular style. I've been looking for the shorter style with two rows and either the white/gray/black or black bins instead of the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete