Friday, April 8, 2011

Why, you ask?

I thought it would be appropriate to begin my blog by explaining why we chose to homeschool. Homeschooling was always in the back of my head as something I wished we could do. I just never dreamed it would become a reality. We mistakenly put our trust in the school district to educate our oldest two. 'B' survived 2 years while 'S' was there less than a school year. 'B' is super smart. She is social and really loved going to school...until she started getting into trouble. Since she was ahead of other classmates in many subjects, she was prone to talking, doodling, etc. to help pass the time. Even library trips were no longer fun because her teacher could only allow her to choose from the leveled readers set aside for her grade level (her teacher said this was protocol per the principal). In first grade she was already at the reading level of a third grader. I laughed when her teacher said she tried to resolve the situation by giving her extra worksheets as "busy work". How would that help when they weren't anymore challenging than what she was already doing? On the other hand...'S' entered into the public preschool program (at the same school as 'B') because she was in their Early Intervention Program. 'S' went so she could receive speech and occupational therapy. Being in this program also meant that she would be in a preschool classroom for 2-1/2 hrs per day. Not the best situation for a chid with sensory processing disorder! I learned after months after her being there that she was still requiring extra help from OT because she was having a hard time being around the large group. She was missing out on opportunities to learn because she was spending her day in the therapy room. When she wasn't in the therapy room and it was a loud situation, she would wear headphones to block out some of the noise. How could she possibly learn in that situation? She obviously was not because after months of being there she still couldn't tell you A from B. While both girls' situations were different, they both show areas that school districts lack. I know that teachers have to teach to the majority, so I can see their point-of-view (it was explained to me by both 'B's teacher and the principle). I am thankful that I can take my children's education into my own hands, and create a fun, challenging, rewarding schooling experience for them. Oh, and to the principle at the school who told me that we wouldn't be able to do it by ourselves, that we would fail to find a curriculum that would meet each of their needs, that I couldn't do it with my brood (yes, she used the term BROOD for my 4 girls!), and that she would see us in the fall...I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!! Melissa

1 comment:

  1. wow...public school is ridic these days..the girls are ten times better with you as their teacher than any teacher the public school district around here can provide..you're an amazing mom and teacher!! seriously!! oh and i like the colors:)

    ReplyDelete