Saturday, August 6, 2011

Our Classroom

Yes, I know...it's been awhile.

It took us a few weeks to figure out how to use the workbox system efficiently, but I am happy to report that it is working GREAT!!! Bella loves that she can quickly see what is expected of her everyday. Savannah just loves that she has lessons this year. Gotta love that!!!

Since starting in May we've studied the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Amazing what I am still learning haha!

I've been asked a lot lately about our organization system. Here are some pictures of how we transformed our dining room to our homeschool room.

Our old kitchen table serves as our classroom table. Then, I have a small bookcase to house all of my teacher guides and lesson plans. It also holds some of our favorite games. Then, since we are traveling around the world this year, we have a large classroom map on the wall.





Workboxes:


We now have a dry erase board on top of Bella's workbox cart. If I need to write down any information as to what she is expected to do in any specific drawer, I write it there.




Then there's my teacher cart. LOVE that thing!!! There are ten large bins and six small bins inside the A-frame. I store pretty much everything in the cart: resource books, art supplies, manipulatives, paper, paint, etc... The front of the cart has a large dry erase board, and the backside has pocket chart hooks. We used to hang our calendar on it, until we decided it was just easier to hang it on the wall.







Lastly, here is one of my favorite classroom resources. This is actually an item I took the lead of creating during my time in the marketing department at ETA/Cuisenaire. It is called the ClearVu PaperSaver. It's essentially a glorified sheet protector. The sides are stitched up about halfway so that you can easily slip a sheet of paper, reproducible activity page, etc. inside, and then use either dry or erase markers or crayons on top. Savannah is the one who uses it the most, as she uses it for her spelling lesson.



Monday we are "flying" to South America. I am planning to add some action shots of the girls at work next week.

Until then...
Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing:-) I really like the "glorified sheet protector". May have to look in to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa This is really cute. We love workboxes. I did them for a while but had to switch out for a number of reasons. Maybe we will go back to them:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 your room! Could you tell me where you got your teachers cart from? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete